Rajasthani Laal Maas is a traditional Rajasthani dish which can be made as hot as you like. It gets its color from the red chillies which are used to cook it. It tastes the best when eaten combined with bajra roti. This is how you can enjoy the delicious recipe at home or you can just visit Handi and savor the hot and spicy Rajasthani delight 🙂
- 500 gms lamb cut into 2″ cubes with or without bones
- 7-8 whole dry red chillies
- 2 tbsps coriander seeds
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp garlic paste
- 1 cup unsweetened yogurt
- 4 tbsps vegetable/ sunflower/ canola cooking oil
- 4 medium sized onions sliced very thin
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
- 3-4 tbsps finely chopped green coriander
- Soak the red chillies and coriander seeds in a bowl of water so they are just covered. After 10 minutes of soaking, drain them and put into the food processor. Add the turmeric powder and garlic paste. Add just a few table spoons of water, a little at a time to grind this mixture into a smooth paste.
- Mix this paste with the yogurt and then add the meat to it. Mix well. Keep aside to marinate for 1 hour.
- Heat the cooking oil in a deep pan on medium heat. Add the onions and fry till golden brown. Stir often to prevent burning. Remove the onions from the oil with a slotted spoon and put on paper towels to soak up excess oil. Keep a little aside to garnish the dish and put the rest into the blender or food processor. Grind to a smooth paste.
- Heat the oil that was left over from frying the onions, again. Add this onion paste to it and fry for 1-2 minutes. Now add the meat and its marinade. Fry till the oil begins to separate from the masala. Stir often and sprinkle a little water whenever the masala begins to stick to the pan or burn. Season with salt to taste.
- When the meat is cooked and tender, remove the pan from the heat and sprinkle the garam masala over it. Cover immediately and keep aside for 2-3 minutes. Open the cover and garnish with previously fried onions and chopped fresh coriander leavesServe hot with Bajra Roti and taste the authentic spice of Rajasthan !!