Lohri and Makar Sakranti are two very auspicious occasions celebrated in various parts of India.
Lohri is a bonfire festival which celebrates the harvesting of the Rabi (winter) crops and people give in to relaxing and enjoying the traditional folk songs and dances.
Makar Sankranti is celebrated when Sun moves to the Northern Hemisphere. This day marks the termination of winter season and beginning of a new harvest or spring season. Prayers are offered to God Sun for good health, wealth and for good crop, and this day is celebrated by kite flying in various parts of the country where it is celebrated with a lot of zeal and fervor.
As we all know, every occasion in India is incomplete without some special dishes or food items for that day. Different kind of special dishes are also made on these colorful and joyous occasions of Makar Sakranti and Lohri.
This lip-smacking healthy sweet recipe is perfect as a crunchy afternoon snack and will make your days sweeter and tastier 🙂
Til Ki Chikki
- Black Sesame Seeds or Kala Til (1/2 cup)
- Jaggery or gur – grated (1/4 cup)
- Thinly Sliced Almonds (1/2 cup)
- Ghee (1 tsp)
- Ghee for greasing
Preparation Time: 10-15 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
1. Over a medium flame, lightly roast the sesame seeds for a few minutes or until the light brown in color.
2. Once done, keep the seeds aside to cool and then repeat the process with the almonds.
3. Grease the back of a flat plate with a little ghee and keep it aside.
4. Next, in a pan, heat the ghee and then add the jaggery.
5. Simmer under low flame until the entire jaggery melts and caramelizes such that it forms a hard ball when you place a drop in cold water.
6. Once the jaggery is melted, mix it thoroughly with the roasted seeds and almonds.
7. Next, pour the entire mixture over the greased plate and roll it into thin sheets with the help of a greased rolling pin.
Allow it to cool for some time and then cut it into square pieces.
Have a zealous Lohri and a colorful Makar Sakranti !!