Haldi or turmeric is a basic ingredient of Indian cooking but ‘Kachi Haldi Ki Sabzi’ is something special and cooked on special occasions in Rajasthan during winter season. Traditionally cooked with lots of ghee, this subzi is typical to the Royal Rajasthani cuisine. This kachchi haldi ki subzi is easy to make and tastes good.
So here is a short & simple recipe for winter delicacy ‘Haldi Ki Sabzi’
- Whole Raw Turmeric – 250 gms.
- Peas – 1 cup.
- Tomato – 4
- Green chilli – 2-3
- Ginger – 2 inch long piece
- Curd – 400 gms. (2 cup)
- Ghee – 150 gms. (2/3 cup)
- Black pepper – 10
- Cloves – 5
- Cinnamon – 2 pieces.
- Cardamom – 4
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tea spoon.
- Heeng – 2 pinch
- Coriander powder – 2 tea spoon.
- Aniseed powder – 1 tea spoon.
- Salt – 1 tea spoon (according to the taste)
- Coriander leaves – 1 table spoon (chopped)
- Cut the turmeric into pieces and soak in water for 5 min. Dry the water and wipe it with a cloth. Peel and grate them in a bowl.
- Cut tomatoes, chillies and ginger. Make a paste and keep them aside.
- Heat ghee in a pan and fry the grated turmeric till golden brown on low flame.
- Take out turmeric from the pan & fry the pea in same ghee for 2 min.
- Take out the peas & tamper with asafetida (heeng) & cumin seeds (Zeera).
- Once it’s roasted, add aniseed powder & coriander powder.
- Put grinded black peppers, cloves, cardamom, and cinnamon to the tomato, chili, and ginger paste and add it to the roasted masala & cook till the ghee starts to float at the top.
- Add whisked curd to the masala and bring it to a boil. Keep stirring.
- Once it starts boiling, add tomato pieces to it. Once boiled add salt to taste.
- Now add roasted turmeric & peas to the final gravy. Put the flame off.
- Garnish with coriander leaves & cover it for 10 min.
- Winter special Kachi Haldi Ki sabzi is ready to serve.
Serve it with roti but it also taste good with zeera rice. As turmeric is quite dry and hot in nature so a good amount of ghee and curd should be added to balance the heat and dry nature of haldi. This subzi should be taken in moderation like a pickle or chutney.