Most people use haldi everyday in dal-subzi but fewer are the fortunate souls who have enjoyed its sabzi. So here an award winning Handi Restaurant, Jaipur brings its easy recipe to take you on an unusual vegetarian delight which is also the poor man’s saffron, tasty and aromatic, of course auspicious too.
Haldi or turmeric is a basic ingredient of Indian cooking but ‘Kachi Haldi Ki Sabzi’ is something special and cooked on special occasions in Rajasthan during winter season. Traditionally cooked with lots of ghee, this subji is typical to the Royal Rajasthani cuisine. This kachchi haldi ki subzi is easy to make and taste good.
So here is a short & simple recipe of it-
Ingredients for Turmeric curry recipe.
- 250 gms.
- Peas – 1 cup.
- Tomato – 4
- Green chilli – 2-3
- Ginger – 2 inch long piece
- Curd – 400 gms. (2 cup)
- Ghee – 150 gms. (2/3 cup)
- Black pepper – 10
- Cloves – 5
- Cinnamon – 2 pieces.
- Cardamom – 4
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tea spoon.
- Heeng – 2 pinch
- Coriander powder – 2 tea spoon.
- Aniseed powder – 1 tea spoon.
- Salt – 1 tea spoon (according to the taste)
- Coriander leaves – 1 table spoon (chopped)
- Wash the turmeric pieces, put them into water for 5 min. dry the water or wipe with a cloth, peel them and then grate them in a bowl.
- Cut tomoto, chillies and ginger and make a paste. Keep this aside.
- Heat ghee in a pan and fry grated turmeric till golden brown on low flame.
- Take out turmeric from the pan & fry peas in same ghee for 2 min. Take out peas & tamper with asafetida (heeng) & cumin seeds (Zeera)
- Once it get roasted add aniseed powder & coriander powder.
- Put grinded black peppers, cloves, cardamom, cinnamon then add tomato, chili, ginger paste to roasted masala & cook till ghee starts to float at the top.
- Add whisked cud to the masala and bring it to boil. Keep stirring.
- Once it starts boiling add tomato pieces to it. Once boiled add salt to taste.
- Now add roasted turmeric & peas to the final gravy. Put the flame Off.
- Garnish with coriander leaves & cover it for 10 min. Mouth-watering Kachi Haldi Ki sabzi is ready to serve.